Conversion of a 3 story corporate office building into a “Data Center Hotel” to accommodate the regions large concentration of financial services firms.conceptcsi performed construction management services for all aspects and phases of this large and challenging project. This included; interior demolition and removals, Site work, extensive structural enhancement, new MEP infrastructure upgrades and data center build-outs.
Demolition280,000 square feet of office space was completely “gutted” leaving the entire facility broom clean. This included elevator, chiller plant, heavy roof top equipment and steel dunnage removals. Some of the atrium areas were selectively protected and preserved for architectural and/or logistical reasons.
SiteworkExtensive work throughout the 13-acre site, including:
- 1000lf of reinforced concrete retaining walls with brick face to create equipment yard enclosures with provisions for 42ea 2MW generators.
- 1000lf of 16’ high security fencing on top of retaining wall.
- Reinforced concrete pads for new equipment and trenching for distribution.
- Relocation of existing water and sprinkler mains.
- Installation of new 26,400KV primary electrical service.
- Modifications to site lighting and landscaping.
Structuralconceptcsi upgraded the structural integrity of the building from an original live load capacity of 70 psf to 150 psf (200 psf in heavy equipment areas). This was achieved by extensive beam and column plating. The addition of 40 new columns with new concrete footings. Core drill through existing slab to expose steel beams and Install 26,000 Nelson Studs throughout two floors to allow the floor slab to act as a composite beam/slab. In-fill existing Atrium and shaft areas to increase usable square footage.
Building and InfrastructureWe provided new base building mechanical, electrical, plumbing and fire protection throughout.
- Core and Shell demising Drywall partitions and common area build – out.
- Install new 10,000lb service elevator.
- Install new BMS and Security systems
- Provide new 26,400KV redundant electrical service – total power capacity 30MW.
- New base building 1000KW generator.
- New base building 25000KVA substation 26,400KV – 480/277v.
- Redundant electrical distribution.
Data Center Build-OutUsing a POD Architecture configuration, the facility was designed to accommodate 12 POD’s each being 12,000 sq. ft. of raised floor space designed at 100-120 watts psf. The initial design intent was to have 4 POD’s on each of the three floors. This design is easily modified to allow for entire floor applications if necessary. conceptcsi completed the first three of these data center POD’s. This included:
- Essential and critical loads arranged for 2n redundancy.
- 2ea 1500KVA UPS system (10min battery back up)
- 2ea 2000KW Generators
- 3ea 275 ton Chiller units
- 20ea 30 ton CRAC units
- 10ea 300KVA PDU’s
- 12000 square feet of raised flooring